Monday 11 February 2013

Did someone say.....dessert buffet?

The biggest thing about training for a comp is how anti-social you become. I can't speak for everyone else but when willpower is vertically non-existent when it comes to all things sugary, I find it better to avoid situations where I may have to see/smell/touch it. Of course I'm not just talking cake and chocolate here because hopefully most people realise now, that sugar is laden in most things from drinks to many types of cuisine, its the one addiction that is socially acceptable in today's society.

So being the first big event since embarking on this journey, I knew this wedding was going to have the sugar monster literally itching to burst out. 
In preparation for the ensuing hunger the seems to emerge more frequently on a 1300 cal diet and also after a lovely ceremony and post marriage photos, I will admit to packing a few provisions, chicken in a ziplock bag and a protein brownie (so I wouldn't feel so bad on missing out on dessert). 

I didn't actually end up requiring them because it wasn't long before the stunning ceremony was over and I was begging the GF (genetic freak) to let me have some of the bread roll on offer and gratefully sipping on my allotted glass of Red. 
We had a serving of pasta for starter (I literally couldn't tell you when I last had pasta), so before the GF could even blink it was gulped down feverishly. 
The main was swordfish so certainly healthy enough for me with the added bonus of being tasty too!, It only started to hurt when the dessert buffet started to be laid out. 

The picture below sums up how I felt. (Maybe if I don't look at it I'll forget that it's there)



The GF could see my resolve beginning to crumble, I even resorted to begging for a lemon tart, or perhaps one of the divine looking mini cupcakes, he always responds with flat-out refusals to support my bad decision, (it always seems to work if he doesn't let me, plus I am sure he likes that fact that this is perhaps the one time I actually listen to him). 
It also becomes quite scary when you resort to getting some cover and sneaking a taste of the macaroon cake (thanks Alex, sorry GF - you were busy). 
All in all, I am quite happy with how I coped, even though I was perhaps a little too fixated with the whole "not being allowed thing", I guess when you start telling people it becomes more of a reality (and a ton more scary). 

To counteract the overindulgence, I even let the GF run me through his bi - monthly park workout, (yes he only has to do it every now and again to get massive). 
It was kind of like bikram training as it was midday by the time we got there and 30 degree heat. we did 4 sets of 8 chin-ups, pull -ups, inverted rows, push-ups and some ab stuff. I required lots of assistance as my weight training has not helped me with my ability to lift my own bodyweight, which is a long term goal of mine and the reason we have purchased a 30 ft rope to hang on the large tree in the back garden. 

All in all, not a bad weekend and 13 weeks out till the comp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment